Loyola University New Orleans will launch its inaugural TRIO-Student Support Services (SSS) program in Spring 2021. Funded through the U.S. Department of Education, this grant will serve 140 students annually who meet the specific eligibility criteria of: (a) first-generation college student, (b) student with a disability, and/or (c) low-income. Loyola’s TRIO SSS program provides academic support services and activities that will enhance students' academic skills and improve retention and graduation rates. This program is housed within the Pan-American Life Student Success Center. TRIO participants will be prepared for the successful completion of post-secondary education and motivated to pursue graduate studies.
Who is eligible to apply?
In order to qualify for the Student Support Services Program, a student must meet one or more the following criteria:
- Be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident.
- Be a first-generation college student (neither parent has a bachelor’s degree).
- Low-Income Eligible. Low-Income eligibility is based on information submitted through Loyola’s Financial Aid Office, FAFSA application, and/or Income Verification forms.
- Documented Disability. Student must be registered with/ or plan to register with the Office of Accessible Education.
What can I expect as an SSS participant?
The TRIO Student Support Services program provides holistic support and motivation to support students through graduation. The goals of TRIO SSS are to increase retention, achieve good academic standing each semester, and successfully graduate participants to achieve their post-secondary degree. Participants will receive one-on-one and small-group assistance designed to meet their specific needs to graduate from Loyola.
The program provides
- Advising and course selection
- Success skills workshops
- Financial aid and scholarship information
- Financial wellness and literacy workshops
- Individualized degree completion plans
- Career and major exploration
- Graduate school information seminars
- Support for online course work
Program participants must qualify and be selected. Interested students must apply. All program services are free to TRIO-SSS participants.
We are actively recruiting students! Apply HERE
What is TRIO?
Federal TRIO programs are outreach and student services designed to identify and provide services for individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds, according to the U.S. Department of Education. It includes Upward Bound for high school students, Student Support Services for collegiate-level services, and McNair Scholars for graduate students. Loyola University New Orleans also supports an Upward Bound program. The Student Support Services Project of Loyola University New Orleans is 100% funded by the Department of Education with an annual budget of $261,888.
Contact an SSS staff member.